Friday, July 30, 2010

alone on the range...

My husband has been away since Saturday and I won't be home until this coming Wednesday (in total 11 days). This is the LONGEST I've ever been on my own in my life.

About a year ago I would've been terrified to spend this much time on my own.

This isn't because I didn't like spending time by myself here and there (i.e. - one day to read, relax, clean, catch-up on sleep etc.) but because for one, I love talking and for two, I honestly didn't think I could occupy myself for a long period of time. My husband always made fun of me when I had a "me" day and asked "how many people did you talk to today?" because he knew I'd get bored and call my Mom, Dad, friends or anyone else I could think of to keep me busy. The worst part is that it was true! By noon I'd be getting antsy and needed someone to talk to. I guess that means I wasn't so comfortable in my own skin.

Over the past year or so since I've been working locally and coming home for lunch then spending a couple of hours on my own before my hubby gets home from his commute, I've come to love my personal time. I read, I take the dog for a walk, I clean up the house a bit and then I start dinner. It's a beautiful thing! Nice and relaxing and the perfect way to wind down from a busy day at work.

So, I'm 6 days in and doing great! Last night was a bit of a gongshow - I went to volleyball until about 8:30 p.m. and didn't eat dinner and was so hungry when I got home that I ate an ENTIRE Little Ceasar's hot'n'ready pizza to myself and I have wicked gas today to prove it (too much information?). What was I thinking?

I've taken Winston (our 9 month old boxer pup) for a walk most nights, done Pilates a few times, ironed umm...11 elephant shirts (my husbands massive work shirts), watched a couple of movies and kept the house nice and tidy. The laundry is done, the floors are clean, the beds are made, the dishes are done....oh, so nice.

The things I don't like: 1) cooking for one, 2) having the dog by myself...I feel a little chained to the house since it's so warm and I can't leave him in the car when I want to do a few little errands, 3) bedtime - it's freaky going to bed alone in a big house...I check and double check the locks and 4) when my cellphone dies due to lack of charging (my own fault) and I have no method of communication if a burglarer tries to steal me.

Although I am liking my time to myself I can't wait for my lovebug to come home.

xo Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment