Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Moulding

Yes, moulding.

Everything we do as parents shapes the people that our children are in the process of becoming. The reinforcement, encouragement and love but also the not so good stuff.

I worry on a regular basis about whether or not we're doing the right thing. If Noah doesn't want/like what we're eating should I give him something else? If he has a temper tantrum should I let him wail or try to console him? If he squishes berries into mush should I let him to help him develop his senses or scold him for making a mess? If he's learning something new and it's dangerous do I stop it or allow nature to run it's course?

It's so hard to say sometimes!!
 
One thing I do know is that a storey I heard today from an amazing Mom has forever shaped how I will react to challenges that Noah may face growing up when dealing with other people and confrontations about who he is as a person.

I always thought you should sympathize, explain that's how the world is sometimes, tell them the other person is at fault and that things will get better and to turn the other cheek.

After hearing how my friend's child turned out (strong, self-assured and amazing) I realized that there is a better way of going about situations where your child is being criticized that creates a strong, morally sound and a REAL individual.

What I vow to do is to tell him (or her if we have a girl someday) that the way he is IS perfect, he is a leader, he is strong and amazing. That the person who is bothering him is likely only doing it as they're not confident about themselves and that he should actually feel bad for the bully. That what other people say and do is a reflection on them and not really about you. To not let the person see that what they are saying is bothering you and the next time HE should bring up the joke and toss it back to the bully to show that it didn't stick.

Instilling you child with a sense of self and helping them understand that individuality matters (and is amazing) is a much better route than allowing them to become a victim.

Random post but I didn't want to forget this awesome tidbit I picked up!

Who knows if I'll ever use it - maybe someone reading will one day.

xo
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment